Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Steady Stream of Stressors

Hello readers and welcome to another one of my posts. Today I want to talk about the steady stream of stressors. Normally hearing the sound of water from a stream running would be relaxing, however there really is nothing relaxing about what is running from the stream of stressors. To me the steady stream of stressors is a phrase used to describe my observation from living as an adult in college and post-Masters that there always seems to be at least one stressor/obligation/responsibility to worry about completing/address/take care of. These stressors can include (but not be limited to) work responsibilites, errands, bills to pay, and for college/grad school, responsibilities related to school. It appears as if there is always something I need to handle. These stressors always seem to be coming at a rate similar to a stream, and just like a stream, the stressors do not stop. This is part of what I feel makes living in the adult world a challenge, the idea of needing to be on your toes in order to take care of everything and be successful. It can be stressing as the seemingly constant barrage of responsibilities and obligations can make it difficult to relax sometimes and unwind mentally. It can be even more difficult when I feel as if I have more obligations than time to complete them. College and Grad School in particular is a prime setting event for this kind of feeling.

I know internally speaking, I can feel frazzled by all the demands and obligations, especially if I appear to have a lot to complete in only a limited amount of time. The sudden appearance of an obligation that I have to get done in only a short amount of time (such as an assignment due tomorrow that I forgot about) can lead to a heigtened sense of anxiety. Living on my own having to manage all of these stressors only adds to this. Additionally, my tendency towards anxiety can evoke stress from even smaller and easier responsibilities that others would not get stressed over. Often times I find myself taking breaks or time to wind down, really out of neccessity to give myself a mental breather, and I think this is necessary for others to do as well in order to not stress themselves out too much. The stream of stressors perfectly illustrates the constant challenge of living in the adult world, a major challenge, that is made up of many individual challenges that pop up in succession

No comments:

Post a Comment

Autism Awareness Month

This month is April, and April is Autism Awareness Month. I haven't been posting in a while but thought it would be best to post again f...